Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Lost in the Fog

As my car crested the last hill to the beach, everything became hazy. When I left home, the air was hot and dry. According to the thermometer on my car, the temperature dropped by about 30 degrees in the last five miles. As I stepped out of my car, I was hit by the air and how thick with moisture it was. My target for the evening, the Grand Haven lighthouse, was completely obscured by fog.

While I was a little dismayed by the unexpected weather, I decided to make the best of it and see what shots I could get. Unknown to me at the time, images of this night would make national headlines, becoming known as the "Wall of Fog." Although I didn't get to see the wall of fog, I was able to walk in it's aftermath. The air was thick as pea soup, and visibility was null. As I walked through the parking lot towards the pier, I was glad for the last minute decision to throw my rain jacket in the car. The fog quickly condensed on my jacket; I would have been sodden without it.

Walking down Grand Haven's South Pier on this strangely erie evening, I was mesmerized by the pier and catwalk extending into nothingness. The lighthouses which I came to photograph were completely Lost in the Fog.


No comments:

Post a Comment